Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pecan and fruit French toast

Today I am obviously in a cooking frame of mind. Recycled the last of the spaghetti sauce into a dish of pasta with black olives, whipped out three loaves of cinnamon raisin bread this afternoon and now-- despite my original plan of a hearty baked oatmeal with Morningstar vegetarian sausages-- I am trying my hand at pecan-crusted French toast. It is a total experiment, so it will be fabulous...

Or gross.

Or maybe merely edible.

I started by slicing a loaf of my homemade cinnamon raisin bread into pieces. I made a French roast 'batter' of soy milk, two eggs, a drop of vanilla, a too-large gulp of heavy cream. Fried these up in my skillet with too much butter.

Then I lined them in Pyrex dishes, greased with butter.

I made a water-sugar syrup, which you can replicate using the one I use for tart tartine. What that was boiling heartily and started to condense, I added a handful of frozen berries. After they bubbled a while, I added six chopped prunes. (yes, I'm running out of fruit.)

Now after that bubbles a while I added chopped pecans, I think it was 2 cups worth. I stirred and stirred and then started layering it on top of the French toast. When the piles of pecans finished, I sprinkled them with brown sugar and put them in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.

They look good. Smell good. Taste of the sauce is good. So, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment